personally i always wanna know how the funds went and/or perhaps still going around....
najib was commenting on the ag's statement in his 2005 report that an excess amount of rm 6.7 million had not been returned to the treasury... but, nazri said there was no excess money and account is closed...
as reported... "We have closed the account. Probably, the Auditor- Generalâ€™s report was made before the account was closed," Nazri was quoted as saying."...
'give it the benefit of doubt'... if the account is closed and the ag's report was made BEFORE the account was closed... then why did najib mentioned/commented based on the ag's statement there's still rm 6.7 million... on top of that how come najib do not seems to know anything about it?!?... you mean the ag did not inform him about it?!?...
so, which is true?!?...
p/s ; rm 6.7 million can but at least 13 units of 'smart toilet'!...
Najib: Tsunami funds given out
06 Sep 2006
Tan Choe Choe
MALACCA: The funds for tsunami victims have all been disbursed to help those affected by the disaster, Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said yesterday.
But he will ask the National Security Division of the Prime Ministerâ€™s Department for a detailed report.
"Then, we will get a clearer picture," he said.
Najib was commenting on the Auditor-Generals statement in his 2005 report that an excess amount of RM6.7 million had not been returned to the Treasury.
It was reported yesterday that an investigation into the misuse of funds for tsunami victims would be proposed by the Prime Ministers Department at the next post-Cabinet meeting, based on several observations by the Auditor-General in his 2005 report.
The A-Gs report, which was tabled in Parliament last Friday, had highlighted the mismanagement of millions of ringgit used to build and repair houses as well as for the repair and purchase of fishing nets, outboard motors and boats for tsunami victims.
Minister in the Prime Ministers Department Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz had said that RM78.95 million had been collected for the tsunami funds, and that the account was closed and there was no excess to be returned to the Treasury.
"We have closed the account. Probably, the Auditor- Generals report was made before the account was closed," Nazri was quoted as saying.
Najib was here to close the "Melayu Melaka Maju 2010" convention (Malacca Malays to Progress by 2010) at the Malacca International Trade Centre.
He told delegates that the best way forward for Malays was to innovate.
"Be creative and break from the usual mould of doing things or else we will never advance as a race."
The convention, organised by Malacca Umno, was attended by Malacca Chief Minister Datuk Seri Mohd Ali Rustam, who is also Umno vice-president and the Malacca Umno liaison chief.
In George Town, a company building homes for tsunami victims said the job would be completed by next month.
A spokesman for Syarikat Perumahan Negara Bhd said work on the 100-unit flats in Tanjung Bungah was delayed due to the eviction of squatters living on the site.
On Monday, Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon had instructed SPNB to speed up construction of the flats.
The company was given about RM8 million to build the three-bedroom flats for 100 tsunami victims, who are now living at a transit home in Jalan Batu Ferringhi.
i just dun really get it... as reported yesterday... they have-a-balance' of rm 6.7 milion... overnight the amount went up to rm 28 million!...
p/s ; every single cent donated matters... the full report got to be out fm the government immediately which i think they are answerable to all those who donated!...
Unused RM28m of tsunami aid fund sent back to the Treasury
PORT KLANG: RM51.4mil from the RM78.8mil collected for the special fund for tsunami aid has been allocated to state governments, ministries and government agencies to carry out relief work.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said “the balance of about RM28mil has been returned to the Treasury.”
He was responding to the 2005 Auditor-General’s report that an excess amount from the fund had not been returned to the Treasury.
“I'd like to state that the amount that has to be returned (to the Treasury) has been returned,” Najib said at a ceremony to disband a Malaysian team which had been on a three-month peacekeeping mission in Timor Leste.
Najib said the RM51.4mil had been used to carry out post-tsunami and other relief work.
He said the Auditor-General would be consulted to find out why the matter was raised.
He said the fund had also been closed according to procedures.
Earlier, Najib praised the troops for their good work in Timor Leste.
“Our armed forces personnel played a crucial role in ensuring security and this has been acknowledged by the United Nations,” he said.
A total of 663 personnel from the Malaysian army and navy had served in the short stint.